The agriculture industry influences many sectors of the economy locally as well as internationally. From farmers and real estate to supermarkets and restaurants, it’s important to understand what is going on in this industry and
Tag: Digital Transformation
September 19, 2020 0 Comments
- BLSA has concerns about South Africa’s debt servicing after medium-term budget speech October 28, 2020Business Leadership South Africa (BLSA) has expressed disappointment at Finance Minister Tito Mboweni’s allocation of R10.5-billion to embattled South African Airways in the Medium-Term Budget Policy Statement (MTBPS) that he delivered on October 28. This follows the consultancy advocating for no more State-owned entity bailouts in an open letter to the Minister last week.
- Commission grants short-term exemption to SASA and its members October 28, 2020The Competition Commission has granted the South African Sugar Association (SASA) and its members an exemption until June 31, 2021. The exemption has been granted subject to conditions to ensure that the information SASA and its members share is limited to that which is necessary to give effect to the purposes of the South African Sugarcane Value […]
- WBHO to report 892c loss per share for FY20 October 28, 2020Construction group Wilson Bayly Holmes-Ovcon (WBHO) has advised that it will report an attributable loss s share of between 892c and 985c apiece for the year ended June 30, as a result of project delays taking its toll amid Covid-19. This is around 200% lower than the earnings a share of 938c reported for the […]
- Rail offers potential for Africa October 28, 2020The growing population in Africa, coupled with the rise of urbanisation, will require additional transport capacity, and rail has a significant role to play in this, said Products Projects Consulting for Trains MD Wolfram Schwab. He was speaking during rolling stock manufacturing and servicing company TMH Africa’s ‘Transport Month’ webinar, held on October 28.
- World airline and weather bodies agree to increase data collection cooperation October 28, 2020The International Air Transport Association (Iata) – the representative body of the global airline industry – and the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) have signed an agreement to expand automated meteorological data reporting by commercial aircraft. Currently, some 40 airlines and several thousand airliners and freighter aircraft participate in the WMO’s Aircraft Meteorological Data Relay (Amdar) […]
- Struggling ferrochrome needs chrome export tax as interim measure – Richards Bay Alloys October 28, 2020The struggling electricity-intensive South African ferrochrome industry, which has taken significant strides to increase its efficiency and reduce its electricity consumption, needs urgent steps to be taken to enable it to restore its competitiveness. The most far-reaching of these is the proposed imposition by the Cabinet of a tax on the export of chrome ore, […]
- Solidarity Fund appoints new CEO October 28, 2020The Solidarity Fund has appointed Tandi Nzimande to succeed outgoing CEO Nomkhita Nqweni. Nzimande is a chartered accountant, who started her post articles career as a corporate finance adviser at Deutsche Bank. Following that, she acquired and ran a small business in the postal and courier industry for four years.
- Royal Bafokeng puts muscle behind Distributed Power Africa’s energy agenda October 28, 2020Renewable energy company Distributed Power Africa (DPA) has announced that Royal Bafokeng Holdings (RBH) will invest $20-million in a newly formed asset company to expand on DPA’s solar energy portfolio in four key markets. RBH is a long-term African community investment holding company with a legacy of partnering with leading organisations to achieve real broad-based […]
- MTN Nigeria’s revenue, earnings grow despite voice, data volatility October 28, 2020MTN Nigeria reported growth in revenue and earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation (Ebitda) despite facing volatility in voice and data revenue over the nine months ended September 30. The group’s Ebitda increased 9.1% to N497.9-billion; however, its Ebitda margin contracted 2.3 percentage points to 51% owing to cost pressures mostly from increased investments […]
- Mboweni agrees to SAA's R10.5bn bailout; no funds for SABC, Post Office and Denel October 28, 2020South African Airways will get the R10.5-billion it has requested from government to fund its business rescue process. The monies will be made available from reductions from national departments and their entities as well as reductions from local and provincial conditional grants, according to the medium-term budget policy statement which Finance Minister Tito Mboweni tabled […]